I had one of those moments today. You know, the ones where you have to watch something awful happening knowing there is no way to stop it. Sarah rode her bike, with the mail for Sue very proudly stashed in her basket, over to the church office this afternoon. When we got to the parking lot she began to across it slowly but steadily picked up speed as she started down a slight decline. Well, the faster the bike went the faster she peddled, propelling herself ever closer to the curb at the end of the parking lot. Being at least 10 yards away, I knew there was be no way I could make it to her even if I broke into a full out run. So, I braced for the impact. She slammed into the curb going all out. The instant she hit seemed to screech to slow motion as I watched the back wheel bounce off the ground and her little body lounge forward over the handle bars. She hit the ground with her hands sprawled out in front of her and slid about 6 inches, where she lay still, too stunned to move and the whole awful scene came to an end. By the time I got over to her she was shakily trying to stand back up, tears welling up in her eyes. I sat down and pulled her into my lap where she let the dam go and began sopping. It was that broke hearted sop of utter confusion and betrayal as her mind tried to comprehend why her beloved bike would do such a hurtful thing to her. But after a few kisses, a couple hugs and the mention of a band-aid she quickly recovered and even rode her bike back home.
It may have been traumatic for everyone involved (including the bike, who's basket is now hanging lop-sided) but we all survived and now Sarah's first wipe out is behind us. I think she has forgiven the bike and gained a little confidence too!
oh no... I can't even imagine my reaction to something like that. I'm glad that Sarah is ok and no major damage was done.(to herself or the bike :) )
ReplyDeleteBrought tears to my tears and hurt my heart! BUT I am soo SOOOO proud of our little warrior girl. Not many kids would brush it off and conquer their fears, get back on! She is our little fearless warrior girl!! You are such a good mommy for not freaking!!
ReplyDelete