Sunday, December 13, 2009

"Can I go play outside?"



Sarah had her first snow day during this last week of school. Being that Jesse had me up at 6:10, I knew very early that she was off for the day so I let her sleep in. When she finally emerged from her room, shortly after 8:00, I shared with her what I thought was the very happy news. Instead of the shouts of joy I was excepting, I got a very distraught face and a sad little voice whimpering, "Oh, no!" I told it was ok, the school was fine, the roads were just not safe to drive on so she would be able to stay home and play all day. In a slightly less devastated but still down hearted voice she replied "But I want to go to school." Now if I can still get that response from her in junior high, we'll be doing really well!!
She, however, quickly recovered and soon discovered that snow days aren't so bad after all. Around 10:00 she came out up from downstairs, wearing her PJ's, her boots and her hat and energetically inquired "Can I go play outside?" I think its safe to say that my little California girl has not yet made the connection between snow and cold! But we got her properly dressed and she had a blast playing outside in the 6 inch accumulation.
Perhaps when the next snow day comes along, being now a veteran of the bonus day of fun, Sarah will greet the news with a little more excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment