Monday, December 7, 2009

Our New Climatic Conditions!





We've been in Colorado for a month now and the kids have experienced the snow twice. The first snow fall was welcomed with utter excitement by Sarah! So much so that she couldn't resist donning her new winter coat and sneaking outside to "make footprints in the snow with [her] flipflops!" which she proudly returned inside, cheeks rosy red, to announce to us all. Jesse reaction was closer to tentative wonderment. He kept returning to the window as if to make sure it was still there. However, when we took him outside he refused to leave my arms. In fact, he clung so tightly to my side with his legs that I wondered it I had just gained another appendage! The snow only lasted about a day and half, and then in true Colorado Springs form, promptly melted away as the 50 degree weather and sunshine returned.

Our second snow fall seems to have a bit more tenacity. We are now on our second day of snow and have accumulated almost four inches! Sarah still loves making tracks, however, she has thankfully accepted her boots as substitute footware. Jesse still will not remove himself from my hip when we go outside but seems to really enjoy the view from his dry, safe perch. While walking home from dropping Sarah off at school his hat kept slipping down over his eyes. I heard no complaint from him and each time I peeled back the hat I was greeted with a very sweet "hi!" Life holds no fear for our little Jesse so long as he is attached to his Daddy or I!

As for Shiloh and I, the snow, while it is pretty when viewed from inside (especially in the middle of the night before any tire tracks have tarnished the perfect blanket of sparkling white) is quickly reminding us of the all the nuisances that come along with it. The bundling of wiggling children, shoveling, the cold, and of course, treacherous roads! Still apart of me can't help but smile a little as the soft, white powder falls, as if there is some kind of magic in it that my soul can't resist reacting to. Maybe its the New Yorker that is still buried down deep in my roots somewhere. Or maybe its the renewed novelty after a seven year reprieve. I guess I'll have to wait until spring to answer that one. As for now, we are adjusting, acclimating, and embracing our new life, one day at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment